routing table go boom

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Mar 19 20:16:30 UTC 2013

With all due respect to the emperors involved, the complete "zomg, don't
grow the routing table!" argument includes the seldom-stated tagline,
"....faster than I want to replace my existing hardware." IOW, it's
never been about the tech, or "the good of the network," it's about the
capex.

I'm not saying that isn't a noble, useful goal, especially when you
consider the SMBs who are going to be entering the multihoming market
soon as David pointed out, and also (and perhaps more importantly) the
folks in the emerging economies that are still ramping up their Internet
access. But focusing on the technological problems is a waste of time
since they all have technological solutions.

Doug