[c-nsp] DNS amplification

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Mar 19 19:03:03 UTC 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 1:50 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> What I find interesting is that there hasn't been a stronger move to decouple control-plane from forwarding plane.

Given the design of TCP/IP and the routing protocols, we can't really achieve true separation at the protocol level.  They simply aren't intended to work with fully de-coupled, separated signal and bearer, in old-style terminology.
loud
As for RP interchangeability in terms of hardware, there's no economic incentive for vendors to do this, as you say.  And the designs of RP/backplane/linecard
are highly interdependent.

Here's some of the initial thinking which led to the promulgation of LISP:

<http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog37/presentations/vince-fuller.pdf>

As others have noted, there are a lot of other advantages to separating locator from EID; with a system like LISP, one gains potentially very useful mechanisms for protocol transitions (i.e., IPv4 to IPv6), network mobility, 'cloud'-type applications, etc.

But the thoughts contained in that preso comprise a great deal of the original motivation.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton