[c-nsp] DNS amplification

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 17:50:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There's nothing inherent in BGP that would not work with an
>> unconstrained growth of the routing table, right? You just need enough
>> bandwidth and interrupts to deal with updates.
>
> With enough thrust, pigs fly quite well.  Landing can get messy though...

I was being serious... the current 'bgp unconstrained dies' problem
isn't such a problem if you have (today):
  4-8 cores
  16 gb ram
  ssd
  gigabit ethernet

or as you'd call this, your desktop computer... trying to do this on a
600mhz mips with 512mb ram is, clearly, a problem.  put modern
hardware to work and it gets simpler. Yes, the above addresses
getting/sending 'rib' data, it doesn't address programming a FIB, but
rethinking the programming of the fib a bit could, I bet, even get us
to a palatable point for a longer while, in a relatively short period
of time.

-chris