using ARIN IP space outside of ARIN region

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Mon Mar 18 23:55:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 06:50:25PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:41 PM, Andy Litzinger <Andy.Litzinger at theplatform.com> wrote> > * Should I use a single AS for both North America and European data centers?  It will be the same small team managing them today but it's not like the sites are linked together to form any kind of transit network.
>
> I see no issues with a single-AS.  What you want to look at is if it makes sense.  If you have just one link connecting your EU-North America sites, it may make sense to use a different ASN in the event of that circuit going down.
>
> If you use diverse cable systems, you are likely "OK".  Make sure you track what system you are on, when there is an outage, it can take weeks to recover.

In the past, certain peers have required a unified ASN in order to
exchange traffic. If you're using separate ASNs, they want the regions
treated as separate organizations with regards to routing. (IE, they
want you to effectively run them as separate business units.) I do not
know how much of that is an issue today but it could be a real PITA in
days past. Still, a single ASN in my view is the best choice anyway.

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org