[c-nsp] DNS amplification

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Mar 18 14:54:37 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-18, at 08:53, Arturo Servin <arturo.servin at gmail.com> wrote:

> 	And about the routing table size, it is not multihomed sites the
> offenders, it is large ISPs fragmenting because of traffic engineering
> or because lack of BGP knowledge.

The usual concern with multi-homed end sites is that end sites with IPv4 PA addresses assigned from provider X who wish to multi-home with provider Y wind up adding at least two entries to the global table, a more specific route to each of X and Y (which X will need to leak beneath the covering supernet if it wants to deliver the customer any traffic).

I don't know of any recent analysis which differentiates between this multi-homing pressure on the global table vs. inter-domain traffic engineering or gratuitous deaggregation, but it's fair to say I have not been looking.

Joe