WW: Bruce Schneier on why security can't work

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 15 00:39:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:56:51 -0400, Miles Fidelman said:

> I think that's six words - twice as scary.  I dunno how to fix it either
> ("when in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout?")

I don't think script kiddies with gene sequencers will manage to kill us
with Ebola, for the same reason that script kiddies haven't managed to
kill the Internet - by the time they figure out how to not kill themselves
with the Ebola, they usually figure out that it's a losing proposition
(consider the number of nation states that *could* deploy biological weapons
compared to the number that actually have).

Anybody seriously thing the RBN couldn't kill the Internet if they really
wanted to?  Why don't they? Because they can't monetize a dead Internet.

Having said that, we probably *will* see a number of incidents where the
biohazard cleanup crews have to clean up a local mess...