What do you have in your datacenters' toolbox?

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 17:23:32 UTC 2013

> I have a requirement to stock an actual, physical toolbox with power
> tools, drill bits, and other useful accoutrements one would use in a
> 'typical' datacenter.

Aaron

I did some work from 2009 to 2012 in 3rd world datacenters and will
note some highlights.

- Easy to use power plug pinout testers for various outlets.
- Lantronix Spider, serial adapters for console server to
UPS/Switch/etc and a USB battery supply
- Roll around tool chest (you would be surprised where they might keep
the tools) hard to find in some places.
- 3ft PDU to server power cables.
- Detailed instructions in every language possible to not use the rack
screws in the box.  Or a thread gauge and instructions on its use.
- Label maker....
- Step ladder
- Extra humidity/temp sensors
- Extra universal rack rails/shelf for legacy or new devices missing parts.

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~