internet routing table in a vrf

Matt Newsom matt.newsom at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Mar 8 16:40:01 UTC 2013

Internet in a vrf is doable on most platforms and definitely adds a lot of flexibility.

1) control plane  (route reflectors )
          This is really dependent on your platform and whether you are doing multiple RD's or not. If you divide your transit into regions and filter based upon RT you can tier your route-reflectors to get plenty 	of scalability.

2) forward plane (recursive lookup issues)
          Most platforms program prefix's with associated labels slower so your base convergence will suffer. In addition if you want to run PIC you will likely be left with a bit of custom engineering to make it  	work. VPN's hide the next hop behind the loopback of the PE so next hop failure awareness of an edge tie will be lost. If you can stomach the double lookup you can run per-vrf labels (per prefix isn't feasible on most platforms) and weight up your edge ties and force a bounce back to another PE, otherwise you will be stuck with bgp control plane based convergence with per-ce labels.

3) Operational
       It's definitely harder to train operation people on how to look in a vrf.

4) DDOS
       It's actually much easier to design a DDOS filtering system if everything is in VRF's. If you create separate vrf's for transit and subscription your can have extreme flexibility in DDOS filtering. The import export flexibility allows for injection of /32 or /128's into your transit vrf and you can simply hang your DDOS mitigation seems between the transit and subscription VRF's.

5) BCP and RFC that would break  eg "BGP-SEC does not support in todays draft to check prefixs within the VPN"
       We haven't found any significant functionality we would want to use other than PIC that it would break, and there was a work around with that.

6) Vendor specifics
    You are probably ok with most vendors but a few still have issues with table carving, and a few don't support 6VPE.