What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:13:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>Matthew wrote:
>>[...]
>>>      1.      Decreased application complexity:
>>
>> Yeah. After IPv4 goes entirely away. Which is a long, long, LONG time from now. Until then…
>>
> I don't think so. I think IPv4's demise as a supported internet protocol is certainly less than 10 years away and likely less than 5. I say this because IPv6 deployment is a bit of a variable here and we're faced with one of two outcomes as a result:

I'm probably biased because I'm a fulltime consultant off in
EndUserLand, but I don't believe this argument for a moment.

I'm sorry, but a lot of organizations' response to IPv6 has been "Ok,
desktops will need an overlay of it for some websites in AP next year,
so we'll do that.  And we need an IPv6 front end visibility for our
website.  But we don't REALLY need to change to using it primarily."
And a fair number are still "What six?".

A very small sliver of end-user networks are truly fully functionally
dual-stacking internally now.

A fair number of IT admins still don't know anything useful about how
to implement it, and are going to pray for translating gateways, and
are having pain and suffering getting their heads around what's needed
for the minimal IPv6 front end for their corporate web presence.

Adoption in big network providers, and in big network services, and in
big telco (both broadband and mobile users) are much further along
than the average "enterprise".

The mindshare shift is happening, but the change won't snowball until
IT admins - in bulk - really get it.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com