What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 17:20:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 8:20 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Yeah. After IPv4 goes entirely away. Which is a long, long, LONG time
>>> from now. Until then…
>>>
>> I don't think so. I think IPv4's demise as a supported internet protocol
>> is certainly less than 10 years away and likely less than 5. I say this
>> because IPv6 deployment is a bit of a variable here and we're faced with one
>> of two outcomes as a result:
>

> Two unsubstantiated suppositions deleted.
>
> They suggest that IPv4 support is needed *in conjunction with* IPv6 support
> for 5-8 years.
>
> That's a long time if you're developing software... so, basically, no... no
> cost or effort saving if you were to do this work today. In fact, >2x the
> effort if you were to start today.
>
> So again, why try to sell it to the engineers that way? Either sell it as 1)
> If you don't start doing a lot more work now you'll be screwed at the
> transition or 2) You should just wait until you can single-stack on IPv6.
>

>> Why? I doubt any software vendor will continue to maintain NAT traversal
>> code much after IPv4 is no longer the common inter-domain protocol of
>> choice.
>

> Sure. In 5 to 8 years, as you claimed.
>

>> Doubt it all you want. Once it's gone, it stops generating support calls,
>> or they become very short:
>>
>> C: "Hi, my application isn't working through my NAT."
>> TSR: "Hi… Get IPv6, we don't support NAT any more."
>> TSR: "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
>

> C: "Hi, my application isn't working between me and my grandmother"
> TSR: "Hi... Get IPv6, we don't suppotr NAT any more."
> C: "Screw you guys... my grandmother isn't served by an ISP that is offering
> IPv6 and her old operating system barely supports it anyway. Please refund
> my money."
>
> The point being that for some applications, *both ends* need to be on IPv6
> before any of this complexity can go away.
>
> For the rest, they're just talking to web services... and until the places
> those are hosted run out of IPv4 addresses, nobody cares.

So, your position, which is substantiated my Microsoft's / Windows
Phone's / Skype's lack of IPv6 support , is that "nobody cares" until
we "run out of IPv4".

#1.  We have run out of IPv4, check APNIC and RIPE, they are done.
ARIN and LACNIC both have ~2.5 /8s left.  Are you waiting on AfriNic?
When are we run out, in your opinion?  How are people in Indonesia,
India, and the Philippines (and so ...) expected to get online without
IPv4 addresses at APNIC?  How do a launch a new disruptive wireless
service across Europe when RIPE's currently implemented run-out-policy
only allows for a /22 max allocation, ever....

#2.  Your employer seems to have money to buy IPv4 addresses, what
about everyone else?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12859585

#3  I believe this position of your's / Microsoft's is also known as
the "free rider problem".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem

I personally would expect that Microsoft would not be a "free rider",
i am sure they would like to cultivate an imagine of technology
leadership.  I expect a leadership role from Microsoft given their
stature and resources.  And, all told, they did step up for world IPv6
launch on www.bing.com, which is a big deal and many of their products
work admirably well with IPv6 (notwithstanding this Exchange issue
http://labs.apnic.net/blabs/?p=309)

But, Matthew, your division of Microsoft is really a bunch of "Free
Riders" that is honestly holding back the rest of us.

I even had to write an IETF draft, more or less, just to work-around
Skype's issues http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-10

Granted, there are other apps that don't work with IPv6, for example
Netflix's Android app.  But Skype is the big dog.  And so is
Microsoft.  I think we expect technology leadership there, not a "free
rider" making the rest of the system work around you at a cost to
everyone else.

CB