What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 03:23:07 UTC 2013

Hello Owen,

Would I be accurate in re-phrasing each of these as....

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> 1.      This will affect the entire organization, not just the IT
> department and
>         will definitely impact all of apps, sysadmin, devops, operations,
> and
>         networking teams within the IT department.

"The scope of the IPv6 endeavour is organisation-wide" so as to mitigate
any internal disconnects that will result from other units perceiving this
as an 'IT department's project?. I would specifically like to at some point
later bring in the marketing and sales folks. They can't pitch it correctly
if they don't understand it can they?

> 2.      Training will be required for virtually all levels of the
> organization. End users
>         won't need more than a ~2 hour introduction to what to look for
> during and
>         after the upcoming changes. The IT department will need
> substantial training,
>         covering a wide variety of topics (application changes
> (development, configuration,
>         testing, management), systems administration changes, networking
> changes, etc.)

+1

> 3.      We've actually been through this before. In some cases more than
> once.
>         e.g.:
>                 Novell -> TCP/IP
>                 Windows Networking -> TCP/IP
>                 Appletalk -> TCP/IP
>                 NCP -> TCP/IP

I totally didn't think of this perspective ... this is really assuring.

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent