What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 02:55:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Mike. <the.lists at mgm51.com> wrote:
>
>> I would lean towards
>>
>>   f) Cost/benefit of deploying IPv6.
>>

> I certainly agree, which is why I propose understanding you organisation's
> business model and how specifically v4 exhaustion will threaten that. IPv6
> is the cast as a solution to that, plus future unknown benefits that may
> result from e-2-e and NAT elimination.
>
> I have no clue how to sell 'benefit' of IPv6 in isolation as right now even
> for engineers, there's not much of a benefit except more address space.

That is really the meat of it, more addresses is the killer IPv6 app.
If you have plenty of ipv4, your situation is not very urgent, but one
day it will be urgent.... There are folks who don't have much IPv4,
and sometimes people on your network may want to communicate with
them.. Like the folks in Europe or Asia.  Remember, APNIC and RIPE are
both out of IPv4 right now.   So all meaningful growth (mobile, cloud,
internet of things...) must happen on IPv6 ... or relatively expensive
IPv4 addresses from the black market and / or NATs

CB