What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 6 01:41:36 UTC 2013

I think it's also important to cover the following topics somewhere in the process:

1.	This will affect the entire organization, not just the IT department and
	will definitely impact all of apps, sysadmin, devops, operations, and
	networking teams within the IT department.

2.	Training will be required for virtually all levels of the organization. End users
	won't need more than a ~2 hour introduction to what to look for during and
	after the upcoming changes. The IT department will need substantial training,
	covering a wide variety of topics (application changes (development, configuration,
	testing, management), systems administration changes, networking changes, etc.)

3.	We've actually been through this before. In some cases more than once.
	e.g.:
		Novell -> TCP/IP
		Windows Networking -> TCP/IP
		Appletalk -> TCP/IP
		NCP -> TCP/IP

	In some ways, this change is less profound than many of those.

It's also worth pointing out the ways you can save by starting sooner rather than later.

Owen