Google's QUIC

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Sat Jun 29 02:12:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:20:21 -0700, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Runs in top of UDP"... "Is not UDP"...
>
> If it has protocol set to 17 it is UDP.

So QUIC is an algorithm instead of a protocol?

>> SCTP is not NAT friendly (to the best of my knowledge), SHIM6 is
>> IPv6-specific and can help you "recover" an already successful
>> connection.
>
>> LISP... I can't still grasp LISP, although it doesn't have anything to
>> do with multihoming. :-)
>
> Lisp is actually very much about multihoming... In fact that was one of
> the key reasons it got started. It actually could make >multihoming and
> mobility very much simpler at the applications if it were used.

Yeah, but LISP is as [in]accessible to end-users as BGP is and it will
be like that forever. It requires ISPs to opt-in to provide this. LISP
is not a universal option.

LISP matters to the Internet core, it doesn't matter to the whole Internet.
It is just not universal.

>> ILNP is new for me. Looks interesting, thanks.
>
> Mind that ilnp is v6only also requires stack changes...

I just read about ILNP. ILNP is nice if you want to multihome nodes, but
virtualization (or spanning, for that matter, similar to anycasting) over
multiple data-centers will reach the limitations of ILNP. It is a step
ahead, but it is not an integral approach.

I wish my Debian mirror would just be the "mirror.debian.net" *service*
(not host), and the network could choose the best for me.

--
Octavio.