Paetec PI space?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 22:00:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's got to be PA space.  Paetec isn't in a position to assign PI space.
>>

>> No distinction is drawn between PA and PI for ARIN-region address
>> space assigned prior to ARIN's inception in 1997. That's "legacy"
>> address space.
>>
>> Since the end of filtering on prefixes shorter than /24, PA and PI
>> have lost most of ther distinction anyway. There's RIR-assigned and
>
> The distinction to me is that PA space is provider owned space assigned to a
> customer.

Hi Jon,

If the space was assigned after ARIN's inception then it's no more
owned by the service provider than by the end user. If the ARIN
contract you signed was clear on nothing else, it was clear about
that.

You are correct, however, that the Local Internet Registry (LIR, aka
ISP) may set additional rules for the address' use beyond those rules
ARIN sets. In the ARIN region (this is less clear cut in other
regions) one of the common rules the LIR sets is that you can't keep
the addresses when you cease to buy a compatible product from the LIR.
However, and this is important, the LIR has complete discretion in
adding that rule. ARIN in no way requires it.

So it isn't PA or PI... it's just a heirarchy of registries, each of
which adds rules.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004