Paetec PI space?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 26 18:58:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Adam Greene <maillist at webjogger.net> wrote:
> We have a customer who was assigned some PI IPv4 space by Paetec back in
> mid-90's and who has continued to announce the blocks, even though their
> relationship with Paetec ended a long time ago.
>
> Is this a common situation?

It was back in the day. It isn't any more. Most folks doing that have
since renumbered.

> Does the customer risk having that space
> reclaimed by Paetec at some point,

That depends what Paetec has to say about it. Unless the customer has
paperwork to the effect that the assignment outlives the business
relationship (and for how long) then it's entirely up to Paetec staff
today and tomorrow.

> or is it safe to assume they will
> continue to be able to route trouble-free for years to come?

Like all registrants, Paetec is under increasing pressure from ARIN to
justify its ongoing assignments. It is not required to provide
Internet services to your customer, but lack of ongoing contact with
your customer is likely to become an administrative problem for them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004