Paetec PI space?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Jun 26 18:57:46 UTC 2013

Joe,

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:
>> We have a customer who was assigned some PI IPv4 space by Paetec back in mid-90's
> I think it's correct to say that the only entities that can assign PI IPv4 space are RIRs and the IANA.

Nope.  Historically, there was no distinction and people could (and did) sub-allocate address space with no terms of service indicating the address space should ever be returned.  After the establishment of the RIRs and the creation of the PI/PA distinction (encouraged with much controversy in the CIDR/ALE working group days), there was a concerted effort by the RIRs to move towards a "lease" model.  I believe that effort may have been reflected in RSAs at the RIRs, but am too lazy to look it up.

Regards,
-drc