Paetec PI space?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jun 26 18:06:10 UTC 2013

> We have a customer who was assigned some PI IPv4 space by Paetec back in
> mid-90's and who has continued to announce the blocks, even though their
> relationship with Paetec ended a long time ago.
>
> Is this a common situation? Does the customer risk having that space
> reclaimed by Paetec at some point, or is it safe to assume they will
> continue to be able to route trouble-free for years to come?

They should plan to renumber out of that space in the very near future.

Even with some sort of formally documented agreement between Paetec and
the customer that explicitly allows the customer to continue using the
space after the end of their business relationship, I would guess that
ARIN's policies take a rather dim view of 'off the books' transfers of
address space.

This sounds like an administrative oversight on Paetec's part - one that
Paetec could choose to correct at any time.  It's also not impossible that
if Paetec forgot about this space, that they could try to assign it to
another customer, effectively double-booking it, and causing major
headaches for your customer and whatever customer gets the space.

It's also possible that a post about this to a widely-read mailing list
could prompt someone from Paetec to look into this more closely ;)

jms