Are undersea cables tapped before they get to ISP's? [was Re: Security over SONET/SDH]

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Jun 25 14:55:23 UTC 2013

On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> this I thought included the capabilities to drag the fiber/line into the hull for 'work' to be done... I'd note that introducing signal
> loss on the longhaul fiber seems 'risky', you'd have to know (and this isn't hard I bet) the tolerances of the link in question and have a
> way to stay inside those tolerances and not introduce new splice-points/junctions/etc and be careful for the undersea cable
> power (electric) requirements as well.

Kind of makes one think about the spate of high-profile submarine cable breaks over the past couple of years in a different light, doesn't it?

;>

> and yea, why not just work with the landindstation operators to use the existing monitoring ports they use? (or get a copy of the monitor ports)

Operational security in the original meaning of the term (i.e., what people don't know about, they can't talk to reporters from the Guardian about).

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton