Security over SONET/SDH

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jun 25 07:55:04 UTC 2013

I hope I've gotten the quotations correct...

From: joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com>
On 6/24/13 1:19 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
> ------------ joelja at bogus.com wrote: ------------

>> That's why I'm trying to follow up on the original question.  Is
>> there something similar the global public can use to secure their
>> connections that is not government designed.  This is even more
>> important on microwave shots when security is desired.

> :: plenty of standardized RF link-layers support strong encryption.
>
> Ah, thanks.  That comment gave me the the search terms I needed,
> but I keep seeing sentences like this "Due to the encryption
> employed in these products, they are export controlled items and
> are regulated by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) of the
> U.S. Department of Commerce. They may not be exported or shipped
> for re-export to restricted countries..."  wheee! :-)

Yes, however note that the actual number of embargoed countries at this
point is pretty small, and that if you are in a(n) (US) embargoed
country and so  inclined you can likely buy such products manufactured
in China by Chinese companies.

Securing the link layer however is not a replacement for an end to end
solution so just because it's protecting the air interface(s) doesn't
really mean somebody not looking at the traffic elsewhere.

Yeah, but I was just thinking through what the original question asked.
After reading his emails over the years, I am assuming he meant in
addition to everything else "What security protocols are folks using to
protect SONET/SDH?  At what speeds?"

I now see it quickly devolves into what various governments will allow
its citizenry to do on the internet.  :-(

scott