Security over SONET/SDH

Mike A mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Mon Jun 24 23:17:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:14:19PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Jamie Bowden <jamie at photon.com> wrote:
> > Actually, you CAN do that, but you have to apply for ITAR exceptions.  EXIM is complex and you really want a good legal team who are familiar with it hand holding you through it (and on extended retainer going forward...).
>
> We used to joke that our export control officer was the "designated felon"
> (in the case that the process/decision was wrong, that person was the
> one going to go to prison (and note the US Govt takes ITAR controls very
> very seriously; do not guess, do not even think about guessing; do not
> even think that the words in the regs mean what you think they mean)).

This is especially true in the case of even civilian crypto gear. Have
lawyer(s) with experience in this stuff to bird-dog everything you do. It may
seem like a lot of money, until you look at the fines and jail time you may
wind up with if you drop a stitch somewhere. Then it all becomes quite
reasonable.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx