/25's prefixes announced into global routing table?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jun 24 18:53:08 UTC 2013

On Jun 24, 2013, at 13:29 , Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) <rol at witbe.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:56:02 -0600 Michael McConnell <michael at winkstreaming.com> wrote:

>> As the IPv4 space get smaller and smaller, does anyone think we'll see a
>> time when /25's will be accepted for global BGP prefix announcement. The
>> current smallest size is a /24 and generally ok for most people, but the
>> crunch gets tighter, routers continue to have more and more ram will it
>> always be /24 the smallest size?
>
> Well, /25 are already in the routing table. I can even find a few /26 !!
>
> rtr-01.PAR#sh ip b | i /26
> *>i193.41.227.128/26
> *>i193.41.227.192/26
> *>i194.149.243.64/26

The question was when will we see /25s in the GLOBAL routing table. Despite the very un-well defined definition for "global routing table", I'm going to assuming something similar to the DFZ, or the set of prefixes which is seen in all (most of?) the transit-free networks[*].

Given that definition, there are exactly zero /25s in the GRT (DFZ). And unlikely to be for a while. Whether "a while" is "next 12 months" or "several years" is something I am very specifically choosing not to answer.

--
TTFN,
patrick

[*] Don't you hate the term "tier one" these days? It doesn't mean what it used to mean (i.e. _settlement free_ peering with all other tier one networks). And given that there are non-transit-free networks with more [traffic|revenue|customers|$WHATEVER] than some transit free networks, I prefer to not use the term.