net neutrality and peering wars continue

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Fri Jun 21 01:10:20 UTC 2013

Maybe someone could enlighten my ignorance on this issue.

Why is there a variable charge for bandwidth anyways?

In a very simplistic setup, if I have a router that costs $X and I run a $5
CAT6 cable to someone elses router which cost them $Y, plus a bit of
maintenance time to set up the connections, tweak ACLs, etc...

So now there's an interconnect between two providers at 1 gigabit, and the
only issue I see is the routers needing to be replaced within Z years when
it dies or when it needs to handle a 10 gigabit connection.

So it seems I should be able to say "Here's a 1 gigabit connection.  It
will cost $Q over Z years or you can pay $Q/Z yearly", etc...

And wouldn't the costs go down if I had a bunch of dialup/DSL/cable/fiber
users as they are paying to lower the costs of interconnects so they get
content with less latency and fewer bottlenecks?

-A