net neutrality and peering wars continue

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Jun 20 12:37:47 UTC 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 8:09, Martin Barry <marty at supine.com> wrote:

> On 20 June 2013 13:07, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 19, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net>
>> wrote:
>>> The sending peer (or their customer) has more control over cost.
>>
>> I'll assume that, by "sending peer," you mean the content network.  If so,
>> I disagree.  The content network has no control whatsoever over the
>> location of the eyeball customer.
> I think his point was that the receiving side can massage their BGP
> announcements all they like but the sending network has more instantaneous
> control over how the traffic will flow. This is before analysis,
> communication, application of policies / contractual arrangements,
> de-peering etc.etc. kick in.

Right. By "sending peer" I meant the network transmitting a packet,
unidirectional flow, or other aggregate of traffic into another
network. I'm not assuming anything about whether they are offering
"content" or something else - I think it would be better to talk about
peering fairness at the network layer, rather than the business /
service layer.

Cheers,
-Benson