net neutrality and peering wars continue

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Thu Jun 20 12:08:43 UTC 2013

On 20 June 2013 13:07, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net>
> wrote:
> > The sending peer (or their customer) has more control over cost.
>
> I'll assume that, by "sending peer," you mean the content network.  If so,
> I disagree.  The content network has no control whatsoever over the
> location of the eyeball customer.  The eyeball customer has sole control
> over his or her own location, while the content network has sole control
> over the location from which they reply to requests.
>
> Therefore, control is shared between the two sides.  And both are
> incentivized to minimize costs.  If both minimize their costs, overall
> costs are minimized.  That's why this system works.

I think his point was that the receiving side can massage their BGP
announcements all they like but the sending network has more instantaneous
control over how the traffic will flow. This is before analysis,
communication, application of policies / contractual arrangements,
de-peering etc.etc. kick in.

cheers
Marty