net neutrality and peering wars continue

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Jun 20 11:07:52 UTC 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:
> The sending peer (or their customer) has more control over cost.

I'll assume that, by "sending peer," you mean the content network.  If so, I disagree.  The content network has no control whatsoever over the location of the eyeball customer.  The eyeball customer has sole control over his or her own location, while the content network has sole control over the location from which they reply to requests.

Therefore, control is shared between the two sides.  And both are incentivized to minimize costs.  If both minimize their costs, overall costs are minimized.  That's why this system works.

                                -Bill