net neutrality and peering wars continue

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Jun 20 00:31:29 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-19 7:03 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> as someone who does not really buy the balanced traffic story, some
> are eyeballs and some are eye candy and that's just life, seems like a
> lot of words to justify various attempts at control, higgenbottom's
> point. randy

What do you mean "not really buy the balanced traffic story"? Ratio can
matter when routing is asymmetric. (If costs can be approximated as
distance x volume, forwarding hot-potato places a higher burden on the
recipient...) And we've basically designed protocols that route
asymmetrically by default. Measuring traffic ratios is the laziest
solution to this problem, and thus the one we should've expected.

Cheers,
-Benson