net neutrality and peering wars continue

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jun 19 23:39:48 UTC 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 6:03 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> as someone who does not really buy the balanced traffic story, some are
> eyeballs and some are eye candy and that's just life, seems like a lot
> of words to justify various attempts at control, higgenbottom's point.

I agree with Randy, but will go one further.

Requiring a balanced ratio is extremely bad business because it incentivizes your competitors to compete in your home market.

You're a content provider who can't meet ratio requirements?  You go into the eyeball space, perhaps by purchasing an eyeball provider, or creating one.

Google Fiber, anyone?

Having a requirement that's basically "you must compete with me on all the products I sell" is a really dumb peering policy, but that's how the big guys use ratio.