Multihop eBGP peering or VPN based eBGP peering

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jun 17 05:27:11 UTC 2013

> Perhaps I am missing something from your advantage list, but why would
> you want to exchange routing information with a network to which you
> don't have a connection due to a local failure?  I think you are
> attempting to abstract routing from the underlying physical
> infrastructure a bit too much.  If the power is out in the carrier pop
> to which you are connected, they don't have a way to give you traffic
> so why would a multi-hop session help.
>
> BGP being down is rarely something that happens on its own, it is
> typically due to something far more physical (router failure, pop
> outage, circuit outage, etc).

any time routing signaling comes from a source to which you can not
directly deliver payload you will be in a load of grief when something
goes wrong.  abjure route servers.  route reflectors should be in the
data plane, ...

in general, when layer N is not congruent with layer N-1 (and N+1), you
have a recipe for exciting times.  and well run ops is not supposed to
be exciting.

randy