Multihop eBGP peering or VPN based eBGP peering

John van Oppen jvanoppen at spectrumnet.us
Mon Jun 17 04:30:11 UTC 2013

Perhaps I am missing something from your advantage list, but why would you want to exchange routing information with a network to which you don't have a connection due to a local failure?    I think you are attempting to abstract routing from the underlying physical infrastructure a bit too much.   If the power is out in the carrier pop to which you are connected, they don't have a way to give you traffic so why would a multi-hop session help.

BGP being down is rarely something that happens on its own, it is typically due to something far more physical (router failure, pop outage, circuit outage, etc).

John