Multihop eBGP peering or VPN based eBGP peering

Michael McConnell michael at winkstreaming.com
Mon Jun 17 00:40:13 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Any idea why more companies don't offer eBGP peering / multi hop peering? Its very common for providers to offer single or double hop peering, so why not 5 or 10 hops? In many cases people find it logical to perform single or double hop peering, why is peering any greater always frowned upon. I understand the logic that you can't control the path beyond a point, however I still see numerous advantages.

One obvious advantages one is, imagine you east coast data centre and you had a eBGP peering session with a west coast router, you'd be able to control ingress via the west coast. (aka routing around an region outage that is effecting ingress) For example during the last hurricane around New Jersey, numerous tier 1's were down towards the atlantic and every peer for the atlantic was effected. One could have just made the ingress via the west coast the logical route.

Thoughts?

Mike

--

Michael McConnell