huawei

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jun 13 16:35:48 UTC 2013

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:28 , "Avi Freedman" <avi at freedman.net> wrote:

> I disagree.
>
> There have already been lab demos of sfps that could inject frames and APTs are pretty advanced, sinister, and can be hard to detect now.
>
> I'm not suggesting Huawei is or isn't enabling badness globally but I think it would be technically feasible.

I am assuming a not-Hauwei-only network.

The idea that a router could send things through other routers without someone who is looking for it noticing is ludicrous.

Of course, most people aren't paying attention, a few extra frames wouldn't be noticed most likely. But if you are worried about it, you should be looking.

Also, I find it difficult to believe Hauwei has the ability to do DPI or something inside their box and still route at reasonable speeds is a bit silly. Perhaps they only duplicate packets based on source/dest IP address or something that is magically messaged from the mother ship, but I am dubious.

It should be trivial to prove to yourself the box is, or is not, doing something evil if you actually try.

--
TTFN,
patrick