chargen is the new DDoS tool?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jun 12 02:55:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:37:04 -0400, "Ricky Beam" said:

> Indeed I have. Which is why I haven't for a great many years.  Academics
> tend to be, well, academic. That is, rather far out of touch with the
> realities of running / securing a network.

Do you have any actual evidence that a .edu of (say) 2K employees
is statistically *measurably* less secure than a .com of 2K employees?

We keep hearing that meme - and yet, looking at the archives of this list,
I see a lot more stories of network providers who should know better doing
stupid stuff than I see of .edu's doing stupid stuff.

The Verizon report says small business is actually the biggest cesspit of abuse:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/22/smallbusiness/small-business-cybercrime/index.html
http://www.verizonenterprise.com/DBIR/2013/

~100 employee firms in health care appear to be a particular lost cause.