chargen is the new DDoS tool?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 23:09:39 UTC 2013

On 6/11/13, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> Other than providing another DDoS vector, I'm not aware of any legitimate
> reason to keep these services running and accessible.  As always, YMMV.

They are useful for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes.   Just be
sure to limit the maximum possible response rate and bandwidth for any
source network,   and be sure to truncate the length of the response
to the length of the original query,  so they cannot be used for
amplification.   If you can't do that, then shut them off :)

The risk that they be used to DoS the server that runs those services remains.

--
-JH