Single AS multiple Dirverse Providers

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jun 10 16:43:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-10, at 18:36, "Dennis Burgess" <dmburgess at linktechs.net> wrote:

> I have a network that has three peers, two are at one site and the third
> is geographically diverse, and there is NO connection between the two
> separate networks.
>

> Currently we are announcing several /24s out one network and other /24s
> out the second network, they do not overlap.  To the internet this works
> fine, however, providers a/b at site1 do not send us the two /24s from
> site b..   We have requested them to, but have not seen them come in,
> nor do we have any filters that would prohibit them from coming in.
>

> Is this normal?

Yeah.

> Can we receive those routes even though they are from
> our own AS?

You can stop them from being suppressed inbound by using "neigh x.x.x.x allowas-in" on a cisco, or "set neigh x.x.x.x allowas-in" on JunOS.

> What is the "best practice" in this case?

I don't know. Above seems reasonable. I've seen people join their sites with tunnels plumbed to router loopbacks in different sites and run IGPs over them before; this gives them inter-site connectivity which makes the question moot. But it involves tunnels.

Joe