Webcasting as a replacement for traditional broadcasting (was Re: Wackie 'ol Friday)

cb.list6 cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 16:51:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Brandon Butterworth
<brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>> I was at an incentive auction discussion earlier in the week where it
>> was suggested that the broadcasters see a rosy future with ATSC
>> beaming to mobile, but there is still work to be done.
>
> They might wish, after many years there has been little take up of the
> various systems created to do this (we've spent quite some time working
> on the standards). Nobody wanted to pay for it to be in handsets, other
> features were seen as more important uses of the space/power.
>
> The next try is LTE Broadcast
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMBMS

Without going into painful detail on the policy, technology or
economics, i really don't see EMBMS being widely deployed and
successful

Not to say some folks won't try to make pigs fly.  Vendors make a lot
of money at the "pigs flying" BU.

I do imagine the invisible hand of tariffs guiding users to better use
broadcast TV and Radio for live events.

CB