Facebook broken over v6?

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Sat Jun 8 15:55:05 UTC 2013

On 6/7/13 12:21 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On 2013-06-07 09:12, Aaron Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Anyone else getting connection hangs and closes to Facebook?
>
> Yes, and from a lot of vantage points, thus it is not your local network
> that is at fault, seems that there are some IP addresses which are being
> returned by some Facebook DNS servers that are actually not properly
> provisioned and thus do not respond.
>
> More to it at:
>  http://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-9511818
>
> I've informed the Facebook peoples (and bcc'd them on this email), and
> apparently they are digging into it from the response I've received.
>
> Note that using www.v6.facebook.com apparently works fine as that IP is
> not affected and is not geo-balanced or something like that thus is
> always (afaik) the same. Thus if you like sharing your life and
> everything you do, that is the thing to use.

It's affecting anyone running dual stack, as the server responds, hangs, times
out and then it tries again on v6.  At least in the latest FF and Safari
browsers, I've not tried chrome.

I've cc'd this over to Nanog, as I've not seen anything about it there, and
I'm sure others are seeing it.

www.v6.facebook.com works fine as a workaround for the time being.

--
Bryan Fields