PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Fri Jun 7 06:51:31 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project Date: Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 12:25:35AM -0500 Quoting jamie rishaw (j at arpa.com):
> <tinfoilhat>
> Just wait until we find out dark and lit private fiber is getting vampired.
> </tinfoilhat>

I'm not even assuming it, I'm convinced. In Sweden, we have a law,
that makes what NSA/FBI did illegal while at the same time legalising,
after some scrutiny, the practice of tapping traffic that passes Sweden
and is not both originated by and destined to Swedes. . We're pretty
good at selling transit abroad. Eastward. Go figure.  Combine that with
our NSA buddy, the FRA (http://www.fra.se) actively attempting to hire
WDM experience and there is enough circumstantial data that I'm convinced
it's being done.

Also, what agencies like NSA, GCHQ and FRA have done for ages is listening
to a broad spectrum of RF data with their aerials. Moving it into fiber
is just keeping pace with the technology.

Another historical fact is that the FRA has its roots in a extremely
successful wiretapping operation in WW2, where the German teleprinter
traffic between Norway (occupied) and Germany was passed on leased lines
through western Sweden. Cross-border wiretap.

In conclusion; I'm convinced.
--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668