IP4 address conservation method

Christopher Papandreou chrisp at softlayer.com
Wed Jun 5 21:20:44 UTC 2013

Hi Mikael,

(Sorry if you are getting a duplicate copy of this.)

In our network we had a couple of problems with RFC3069. Not all the hardware we currently use supports the RFC so we tried to come up with a solution that worked and didn't have us opening a lot of ERs (I know I reference 1 ER in the presentation but that's just 1 rather than a lot). We have more than just routers to consider (i.e. load balancers, firewalls, etc..) and don't want to lock ourselves in to any particular vendor. We also wanted a solution that we could easily migrate our customers into rather than completely taking them off line while we "retrofit" them into a new config (as probably would've been the case if we tried implementing RFC3069). Additionally, for a number of our customers we needed a solution that worked with a FHRP. I don't currently see a way to do that with RFC3069 but if I've missed something please let me know.

Thanks,
ChrisP.
SoftLayer Technologies
chrisp at softlayer.com