Canadian Hosting Providers - how do you handle copyright and trademark complaints

Landon landonstewart at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 23:44:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm wondering how other Canadian Hosting Providers handle copyright and
trademark complaints about customers on their network.  I'm thinking of
just handling them the same as a DMCA notification should be handled but
since there's no forced takedown provisions in the Canadian copyright act
(that I know of?) it's difficult to say what is better.  I'd kind of like
if our customers could enjoy some freedom from the sledgehammer of the DMCA
*but* still being subject to copyright and trademark infringement laws of
course.  I have to admit - this is my ignorance.  I'm quite familiar with
the DMCA and the litigation that usually ensues during american trademark
infringement already but not Canadian copyright laws or trademark laws.

I do intend to consult with a real lawyer about this eventually but I want
to have intelligent questions or suggestions before that happens.

Also how are trademark infringement issues handled differently than
copyright issues in Canada?

--
Landon Stewart <LandonStewart at Gmail.com>