GTT/Inteliquent/nLayer

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jul 31 17:38:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:28:50AM -0400, Tim Durack wrote:
> Any experience/comments on the GTT Global eXpress service? Looks
> interesting but odd. Why would I use a virtual IXP? Who participates?
>
> Comments on-list or off-list are fine.

This was an old PacketExchange service, essentially just a single large
VPLS-based global layer 2 virtual IXP service, which combined long-haul
transport and multi-party interconnection. It's somewhat interesting as
a concept (since I'm not aware of anyone else offering anything
similar), but IMHO not the most practical thing in the world, which is
why it hasn't really been promoted as a new product in many years. If
you've heard differently, please contact me off-list. :)