SNMP DDoS: the vulnerability you might not know you have

Enno Rey erey at ernw.de
Wed Jul 31 15:15:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 03:17:37PM +0000, Thomas St-Pierre wrote:
> The problem isn't the people on this list leaving the public snmp
> community on their devices, it's the vendors of home routers leaving it
> there in their devices. Normal end users don't know or even care what snmp
> is. (nor can we expect them too)
>
> A simple scan of a large cable/dsl ISP's address space will likely net you
> tens of thousands of devices which respond to the "public" snmp community.

I can confirm this.
we did some enumeration (and discussed the said amplification attack) here:
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2007dubai/materials/D1%20-%20Enno%20Rey%20-%20Digging%20into%20SNMP%202007%20-%20An%20Excercise%20on%20Breaking%20Networks.pdf

at the time once you scanned "typical broadband segments" of major European carriers, pretty much every address responding to a ping had SNMP "public" also.

we gave the talk several times and demoed the amplification attack (with a slightly modified version of this tool: https://www.ernw.de/download/snmpattack.pl) against some of our systems, abusing $SOME_RANDOM_SEGMENT as amplifiers (we asked to stop [camera] recording in those cases where the talks were recorded) and it worked pretty much all the time (~20:1 ratio, initiated from the respective conferences' hotel wifi).

thanks

Enno

--
Enno Rey

ERNW GmbH - Carl-Bosch-Str. 4 - 69115 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 174 3082474

Handelsregister Mannheim: HRB 337135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Enno Rey

Troopers 2013 Videos online: http://www.youtube.com/user/TROOPERScon?feature=watch