ARIN WHOIS for leads

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 04:00:34 UTC 2013

On 7/27/13, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:18:52 -0500, Jimmy Hess said:
> I have to admit that this is the biggest can-o-worms suggestion > I've seen all week.
> (Hint:  our org chart says I work in our Network Storage and Backup
> group - the lurker in the next cubicle does our abuse@ handling but

My implication was not that ORG charts or person's actual job should
be looked at.   By vetted;  I meant the person was subject to a
background check,  and also proved that they have technical knowledge.

That's about "reducing noise"  by providing contacts that can only be
accessed by people who proved they knew well enough what they were
doing,  to avoid submitting "false outage reports";    for example,
so they wouldn't be the people  complaining  to  the hosting
provider's  IP technical contact  about some random customer web
server spitting out 404 pages..

In other words ---  they would have passed a knowledge proof,  showing
they deserve the right to bypass  "Level 1 call center drones".

E.g.  to gain enhanced access in a world with 'an additional level of
whois access'
Step 1...
  1. Submit an application with a nominal fee, explain to the RIR
your periodic use of WHOIS,   and how you would benefit from seeing
'special contacts' data;  also including signed NDA  regarding
'enhanced'   extra contact information.

  2. Pay ongoing fees for criminal/spammer background checks, with
results forwarded to the RIR.

  3.  Show up at a RIR meeting, and sign the guest list --  or
otherwise, get other members of the community to vouch for your
character and technical capability, or,  as an alternative show
technical credentials in the form of an earned professional level
networking industry certification requiring a performance-based lab
assessment with advanced network troubleshooting of Layer 1 through 4
on real equipment.

Those were some examples.

I didn't mean to imply  "Ask to see companies' org charts,  try to
untangle the mess for every AS,  and  examine job descriptions"

--
-JH