Office 365..? how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Jul 28 02:10:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Aaron Wendel
<aaron at wholesaleinternet.net>wrote:

> On 7/14/2013 3:37 PM, Richard Golodner wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 09:36 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
>>
>>> in
>>> fact, they were all likely in the same rotten boat.
>>>

>>         Why I love open source. Look at my mail, track my web site
>> visits. None
>> of this should come as any surprise, especially to the members of this
>> list. Now for the guy down the street that is working on his 69 Camaro
>> at two in the morning it may have come as a shock.
>>         Richard
>>

> We (ISPs) are all compelled to provide information from time to time under
> a court order. The PRISM program is voluntary.  These companies gave the
> NSA access to their systems voluntarily.  To me there is a big difference.
>  I would be interested to know what they got out of it.

It was far from voluntary, and it apparently didn't happen
without a lot of resistance.  At least some details of the
long, hard fight that started five years ago are finally being
allowed to be declassified now:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/16/technology/security/yahoo-fisa-court/index.html
http://mashable.com/2013/07/16/yahoo-fisa-court-2008-prism/

It will be interesting to see how much of the court
documents will be visible and unredacted when
they are released on Monday.

Matt