ARIN WHOIS for leads

Otis L. Surratt, Jr. otis at ocosa.com
Fri Jul 26 20:01:36 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Kulawiec [mailto:rsk at gsp.org]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 2:23 PM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: ARIN WHOIS for leads

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:42:18AM -0700, goemon at anime.net wrote:
> Because your mail servers are broken. Because you put spamfilters on
> your abuse@ mailbox, IF you even have an abuse@, which a lot of you
> don't. Because we tried calling, and your tier1 are clueless.
>
> Fix your mailservers. Train your staff. Staff your abuse desk. Then
> we'll talk.

>>Precisely.  This and the rest, which I've elided.  If clueful email to
"abuse at yourdomain" is not dealt with in an effective and timely manner
[1] -- then you have only yourself to blame.

To be quite honest; even if you had clueful and trained staff, folks
would still blast all of your role accounts....just because history
shows many providers don't answer abuse inquiries so they assume every
provider is the same.

For example, we reported some issues to a tier 1 couple weeks ago. Their
automated abuse ticket response was basically if you want your issue
handled include x,y,z and we did from the start so we were good. They
issue stopped and we were happy. But what happened if we didn't include
the following and didn't plan too? Well, the issue probably wouldn't
have been resolved. Case and point, many abuse desks have directions
that must be followed in order for a complaint to be processed
efficiently and correctly.