ARIN WHOIS for leads

Otis L. Surratt, Jr. otis at ocosa.com
Fri Jul 26 15:59:37 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick W. Gilmore [mailto:patrick at ianai.net]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 9:47 AM
To: NANOG list
Subject: Re: ARIN WHOIS for leads

On Jul 25, 2013, at 19:29 , "Otis L. Surratt, Jr." <otis at ocosa.com>
wrote:
> From: Warren Bailey [mailto:wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com]

>> Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of maintaining the whois?
>
> Yep!
>
>> We registered a few domains and get the same thing, I think it's
> something that people are going to have to live with. :/
>
> I agree. We just politely tell them we are not interested and move on
> about our day. Some cold callers we have taken up on offers. It just
> depends who calls and whether or not we are looking for new service.
> WHOIS Privacy is nice for the domains and we use for some of our
> domains but not all. We just hate when customers get those scam
> notices and call us or open tickets about it.

>>The fact you take some cold callers "up on offers" means they will
continue to call.

>>Please do not reward people who scrape whois or the NANOG-l archive.
If it is not profitable to call people, they will stop.

>>Put another way: You are making life worse for all of us.

>>--
>>TTFN,
>>patrick

I'm not sure how they receive their data or if they mined from other
sources. But one can draw some conclusions that they get information
from some list/database and if you are a new provider or a new recipient
of number resources then yes; that's probably how ARIN WHOIS database.

But why don't we take off our hat for one moment that would call this
spam and simply look at it for what it is. I'm sure others would agree.
Sales teams typically would compile a list of names and phone numbers in
a local community and cold call to see if there is any interest. Waiting
on folks to call you could be weeks, months and years thus adversely
affecting your business. I'm sure every company has done some cold
calling before. If you have not then you must have a customer base of
that is making you the profit you desire and/or you are already a
billionaire. Thus you the resources for advertisements on
local/regional/national TV. (Not the only form of advertising BTW)

I can name several tier 1 and 2 providers who have reached out to us for
IP transit based on cold calling/ARIN WHOIS.
We've been an ARIN paying member since 2005 and have not had any contact
with any sales folks until last 4 to 5 years maybe.

IMHO, you guys should get off this spam kick and simply tell folks you
are not interested and move on about your day. Life is way too short.
I'm not sure how cold calling is spamming?

The folks that received the porn calls.... my response is SMH and I am
very disgusted. But I definitely can understand your feelings for cold
calling. Again, life is too short to get all worked up about it. Like I
said before simply tell them not interested and don't call again. We do
and we very seldom find a stubborn sales person that continue with
repeated calls. For the ones we do we have our phone system immediately
hang up their call based on number. If they someone how gain my or
others mobile numbers we simply add as contact and send to voicemail.
After a while they'll get the message. One I threaten him and he never
called again. I wouldn't recommend but it worked! LOL

Everyone's point is we shouldn't have to deal with or provide those
types of workarounds for unprofessional sales folks that don't
understand the word "NO". And I whole heartily agree.

What happen to the days when you could simply tell someone not
interested, don't call again and you wouldn't hear from them ever
again?????
Or the days when everything wasn't treated as spam????

--Otis