ARIN question

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Jul 19 22:44:34 UTC 2013

On 07/19/2013 12:10 PM, Warren Bailey wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone have a baseline on the "maximum" allocation a small to mid-sized ISP can receive from ARIN? I realize resources are scarce in IPv4 land, and I am a bit nervous to initiate the process myself without an understanding of what can/cannot be allocated. I'm not looking for anything insane, maybe a /23 or something in that realm. I'd appreciate any feedback/input any of you have – on list or off. Just looking to get a better grasp on the IPv4 climate before I start telling our people to spend money.

You really need to familiarize yourself with the docs on the ARIN site
that describe the request process. Capsule summary:

1. Ask for what you think you need
2. Be prepared for pushback
3. Keep good records on utilization
4. If you fill up your initial allocation, you use your utilization
records to justify a subsequent allocation

And of course step 0 is to begin your IPv6 deployment plan ASAP.
Yesterday would be good, a year or 2 ago would have been better. :)

hth,

Doug