tools and techniques to pinpoint and respond to loss on a path

Andy Litzinger Andy.Litzinger at theplatform.com
Tue Jul 16 18:12:32 UTC 2013

> From: Blake Dunlap [mailto:ikiris at gmail.com]
> While any provider will attempt to fix peer / upstream issues as they can, any
> SLA you would have is between two points on their private network, not
> from point A to point Z that they have no control over across multiple peers
> and the public internet itself.

makes sense- thanks for confirming

> The much more common design is using a single
> provider for each thread between sites. Then at least you have an end-to-
> end SLA in effect, as well as a single entity that is responsible for the entire
> link in question.
>
> This sounds like you're trying to achieve private link IGP / FRR level site to site
> failover/convergence across the public internet. Perhaps you should rethink
> your goals here or your design?

Kind of- I can actually tolerate the blips, but I want to be able to measure and track
 them in such a way that I know where the loss is occurring.  If a particular path
is reconverging more often than should be reasonably expected I want to be able to
prove it within reason.

We also have a customer who happens to host at DC B with the same connectivity.
Every time there is one of these blips their alerting fires off a thousand messages
and they open a ticket with us.  I'd like to be able to show them some good data
on the path during the blip so we back a discussion along the  lines
of "live with it, or pay to privately connect to us".

-andy