Friday Hosing

Tony Patti tony at swalter.com
Mon Jul 15 00:09:32 UTC 2013

I think it is (could be) (should be) realistic for many/most businesses.

TWELVE years ago (press release March 20 2001), Comcast deployed Linux-based
Sun Cobalt Qube appliances as CPE with their business-class Internet
service,
these provided firewall security, web caching, optional content filtering,
an e-mail server, a web server, file and print servers.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comcast-business-communications-hits
-a-home-run-with-detroits-comerica-park-71752402.html

You could argue that
(a) it was not "your own" server, even though it was CPE, or
(b) Comcast did not continue to offer these appliances (i.e. that Sun
cancelled the product line),
but my point is that it was provided within the economics of the Internet
Services being purchased, i.e. not cost-prohibitive.

Tony Patti
CIO
S. Walter Packaging Corp.