Office 365..? how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Jul 12 18:51:04 UTC 2013

What I find particularly troubling is this image of the govt paying
for these surveillances. The price seemed to be from around $325 for
an install plus $10 to $750 install and $500/mo.

Now, let's not drop right into the easy and trite "don't they deserve
to be reimbursed" right off. Sure, they/we do.

But was this reimbursement, or profitable?

The troubling image that goes like this:

   ISP VP #1: Any revenue ideas?

   ISP VP #2: I hear XYZ is being paid pretty good money for surveillances.

   ISP VP #1: How much?

   #2: Word is Verizon is getting $775/install and $500/mo.

   #1: How many of these are they handling?

   #2: I don't know, maybe millions of them?

   #1: Millions? You're talking half a bilion a month?

   #2: Well, that's VZ.

   #1: Still...what's the COGS?

   #2: Not much, sunk cost mostly, some netadmin labor, might need a
       few extra hands to form a team if it scales up, billing, sales,
       some PR and contract management.

   #1: Wow, how do we get a piece of this?

   #2: Let me make a few calls and get back to you...

Accurate? Plausible? Nonsense?

  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PRICE_OF_SURVEILLANCE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-10-06-07-53

or

  http://tinyurl.com/kj2pelb

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada